Monday, November 26, 2012

O For a Thousand Tongues


SONG WRITER: Charles Wesley                    

MUSIC WRITER: Charles Glazer                     

WHEN WRITTEN: 1739

HYMN HISTORY: "O For a Thousand Tongues" is one of many hymns written by Charles Wesley.  He and his brother, John, became friends with a group of Moravian Christians as they returned by ship to England from the American colonies.  One of the Moravian leaders was a man named Peter Bohler -- a man that the Wesleys much admired for his deep faith.  Bohler made the comment, "Oh, Brother Wesley, the Lord has done so much for my life.  Had I a thousand tongues, I would praise Christ Jesus with every one of them."  Those words inspired Wesley to write this hymn.

BIBLE VERSE:  Psalm 35:28Then my tongue shall tell of your righteousness and of your praise all the day long.”

HYMN LYRICS:

O for a thousand tongues to sing
My great Redeemer’s praise,
The glories of my God and King,
The triumphs of His grace!

Jesus! the name that charms our fears,
That bids our sorrows cease;
’Tis music in the sinner’s ears,
’Tis life, and health, and peace.

He breaks the power of canceled sin,
He sets the prisoner free;
His blood can make the foulest clean,
His blood availed for me.

Hear Him, ye deaf; His praise, ye dumb,
Your loosened tongues employ;
Ye blind, behold your Savior come,
And leap, ye lame, for joy.

My gracious Master and my God,
Assist me to proclaim,
To spread through all the earth abroad
The honors of Thy name.

1 comment:

Bible