Friday, November 16, 2012

I'd Rather Have Jesus


HYMN WRITER: Rhea Miller  

MUSIC WRITTEN BY:  George Beverly Shea

HYMN HISTORY: At the age of 23 George Beverly Shea (1909 - ) had a hard decision to make. He could accept a job offer in a secular singing position in New York City with a great salary and wide respect;  or he could continue singing in churches and for Christian radio programs.  While sitting at the family piano, he started to prepare a special hymn for the Sunday service.  On the piano he found a poem by Mrs. Rhea F. Miller.  He immediately began to compose the music for the poem and used the song that same morning in his father's church service.  He also used those words to direct his life and has shared his song, "I'd Rather Have Jesus" with audiences around the world.

BIBLE VERSE:  Philippians 3:8Indeed, I count everything as loss because of cthe surpassing worth of dknowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I ehave suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ.”

HYMN LYRICS:
I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I'd rather be His than have riches untold;
I'd rather have Jesus than houses or land;
I'd rather be led by His nail-pierced hand:


Refrain:
Than to be the king of a vast domain or be held in sin's dread sway!
I'd rather have Jesus than anything this world affords today.


I'd rather have Jesus than men's applause;
I'd rather be faithful to His dear cause;
I'd rather have Jesus than world-wide fame;
I'd rather be true to His holy name:


Refrain:

He's fairer than lilies of rarest bloom;
He's sweeter than honey from out the comb;
He's all that my hungering spirit needs -
I'd rather have Jesus and let Him lead:


Refrain:

8 comments:

  1. What a precious story about one of my favorite musicians and one of my favorite hymns. God has blessed us with beautiful music. To Him be the glory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow such a lovely beautiful hymn.. it encourages christians to always look to christ.. love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite hymns and so true to my own life of perferring Jesus to the world.I can't sing it wihout weeping. It will make a good devotional for my book. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I just sang the song in Mizo,it is one of our favorite, knelt down and prayed to the Lord. Such an inspiring song which brought so much blessings to many..thanks for the story

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I just sang the hymn in Mizo, it has always brought new blessings, knelt down before the Lord what a joy we received. Such a blessed hymn. Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm out compiling divine hymns and songs for school use. It is my joy to know the roots of this song which I've since childhood associated with the late Jim Reeves. It is ever green, ever inspiring to make a young one choose wisely in this confused generation. Glory be to God

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really touches my heart,whenever i listen to the song🥰

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its one my favourite songs, it clings to my lips. I love listening to it especially tune on Jim Reeves who is also my favorite singer, I do share to my family and church members that, even when I die instead of shedding tears I wish you all to sing it for me. Praise the Lord.

    ReplyDelete

Bible